Canning Across America Rotating Header Image

The Canvolution on Film

A few weeks ago, Seattle chef and veteran canner Diane LaVonne, of Diane’s Market Kitchen, shared her tips on the basics of canning. Videographer Len Davis captured the evening on film on location at the kitchen of AllRecipes.com: Check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly
TwitterFriendFeedFacebookBlogger PostShare

8 Comments

1. [...]  How I wish I learned some of the tricks, shortcuts and secrets that those little Italian ladies gleaned in their childhood. NowI am playing catch up, and this easy to watch video has given me confidence to get started. Check it out, it’s only 5 minutes long:  Canning Across America [...]

2. Jane says:

I was looking forward to learning something from this short video, but unfortunately it is useless. The music soundtrack first interferes with what would be an interesting commentary from an experienced canner and then replaces it. If I wanted to listen to music I wouldn’t be watching a video about canning!

3. Jeanne says:

Jane: I’m sorry the video wasn’t what you expected. It was meant to be a recap of that particular class, not an instructional video. And we thought the music was cute. Sorry it wasn’t to your taste.

4. Love the video AND the music. I bought my first mason jars today so I’m excited to get started.

5. Ardala Evans says:

Was excited when I found this video as I’ve never canned before but it wasn’t very helpful. Would rather have listened to the instruction than the music (which was way too loud). Disappointed :-(

6. Jeanne says:

Ardala: I’m so sorry you didn’t find this helpful. It wasn’t really supposed to be an instructional video–it was designed to show some of our members in action. –Jeanne

7. Jealith says:

I am thinking about canning for the first time. I liked this short clip since it answered questions I had without saying a word just by showing me how easy this is. I wondered about the water bath and if the cans had water inside them (dumb question, I know) I wondered how time consuming it would be. I wondered about the type of equipment I would need and if I would have to spend a lot of money on a pressure cooker, I wondered if I really wanted to try this. Thank you, I think I will. I liked the music too. Very educational for those with eyes!

8. Jeanne says:

Jealith: I would recommend looking through our site for info on how to get started. We have a wealth of articles and links for folks looking to start canning!