Canning Across America Rotating Header Image

What Should I Make With Cherries or Apricots?

Canning CherriesCanning Apricots
My fellow canners, I recently came into a bounty of several pounds of cherries and apricots. For one of my first ideas, I’m hoping to try my hand at homemade maraschino cherries. I’m also tempted by the Apricot Red Current Jam in my Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Even then, I’ll have several pounds of each fruit left. Suggestions? Ideas?

CAA Contributor Rachel Strawn Thibodeaux loves all things culinary. She’s new to canning, but has an extensive history of searching for the next delicious meal. She writes at Rachel: Photo Diary and regularly posts on Flickr.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly
TwitterFriendFeedFacebookBlogger PostShare

10 Comments

1. Cara says:

Last month I made a batch of cherries in wine and a couple batches of brandied cherries. They should be decadently delicious in another month or two.

The cherries in wine recipe is from Well Preserved (Eugenia Bone), the brandied cherries is from (I think) the Ball Canning Book.

Have fun.

2. Kate says:

If you have a juicer you can make cherry juice. It is good for gout. You average 1 pint of juice per pound.

3. Meghan says:

Last summer I made some cherry-vanilla jam that was pretty delicious. The recipe’s here.

It makes a pretty sweet jam–not sweeter, imo, than many commercial jams, but not quite as tart as many homemade ones. If you like it a little less sweet, you could cut the sugar and use some pectin in the recipe, or you could add another lemon.

Also, though it’s not in the recipe, a later batch included the addition of a bit of almond extract to good effect.

4. Rachel says:

Thank you all for these ideas!

Cara, I ran into recipes online for brandied cherries while researching maraschinos. I like having another chance to use the Ball Canning Book. Thanks for the tip-off. It’s such an excellent guide for those new to canning.

Kate, cherry juice — another great idea. I’d have fun thinking of ways to use that for cocktails at home. :)

Meghan, cherry-vanilla jam sounds divine. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

5. Barbara says:

Oh make Cherry Cobbler, I love it, and hardly ever find it any where, Cherries are not plentiful in this area at all, and very expensive to buy, being on a fixed income we do not buy them,.

6. Jane says:

How about cherry ice cream, cherry jam or butter, cherry muffins and spritted cherries. Then have people over for a cherry good time. I’ve done it and people can’t believe so much can be done. Oh dried cherries also.

7. Christina says:

Google Leena Eats! Chinese 5 Spice pickled cherries. They sound absolutely divine! For the apricots, make jam!

8. Rachel says:

Thank you, Barbara and Jane! Great ideas!

9. Lelo says:

I think Apricot Jam is one of the most useful jams….it can be used for dessert making (apricot bars: yum!) and for the base for sauces or glazes for meats. We just canned 24+ jars of the stuff, but when I mixed the apricots with raspberries? Now that jam is amazing.

For the rest of my apricots, I’m hoping to dehydrate them.

10. Rachel says:

Thanks, Lelo! You know, I made some the other night — Brandied Apricot Preserves. I am so proud of how great it turned out & you’re right, it seems really versatile. I’m looking forward to using it this Fall & Winter too.