We are honored to have this recipe, shared with us by Kate Payne, the author of The Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking.
Blueberry Plum Basil Jam
Yield: 2 half pints and some change–can be doubled or tripled
1. Combine the following in a
heavy-bottomed, stainless steel or enameled cast-iron pot:
- 2 pints blueberries
- 5 or 6 small, slightly underripe sweet plums, halved and pitted
- 1 cup sugar
2. Let sit for an hour to macerate
3. Place pot over medium heat to dissolve any remaining sugar granules, and add 1/2 Tbs strained lemon juice.
4. Raise heat to med-high and boil mixture for about 10 minutes. Add a couple whole sprigs of basil a few minutes before you take it off the heat. Stir somewhere between frequently and occasionally (just to keep the sugar from scorching the bottom.) You’ll know your jam is done when the bubbles have spaced out, and they look slightly larger and become darker. Remove pot from heat, cover and let basil infuse for 5 minutes.
5. Remove basil and spoon mixture into hot jars. Seal with two-piece lids. Process for 10 min in boiling waterbath.
6. Alternatively, you could just throw the mixture in a pint jar and stick it in the fridge (no-can blueberry jam!)