Our preserving celebration launches today with our third annual Can-a-rama, a week of home canning parties and seasonal preserving nationwide. From August 14th to August 20th, we encourage you all to gather with your friends and family around the canning kettle.
Today in Seattle, we have more free and open-to-the-public demos at Pike Place Market. At Noon, join us for an Apricot-Raspberry Jam Demonstration by Rebecca Staffel, of Deluxe Foods, a Seattle artisanal preserves company, or at 2:00pm to learn how to can Pickled Jalapeno Peppers by renowned pickle expert Lucy Norris.
If you can not join us in Seattle to kick off our Can-A-Rama, Rebecca and Lucy have graciously shared their recipes.
DELUXE APRICOT RASPBERRY JAM
PICKLED JALAPENO PEPPERS
Look who is getting excited about National Can-It-Forward Day, August 13th.
- Washington Post, 8/10/11 – The education of a can-vangelist
- Eco-Centric, 8/10/11 – Put ‘Em Up: Can It Forward
- Al Dente, 8/10/11 – Save The Date: National Can-It-Foward Day This Weekend
- Fresh Picked Seattle, 8/10/11 – Can It Forward! Canning, preserving & sharing the knowledge
- Oregon Live, 8/9/11 – Small Bites: Hak’s BBQ Sauce, Culinary Boot Camp, Can-It-Forward Day
- Mother Nature Network, 8/9/11 – National Can-It-Forward Day
- San Mateo Patch, 8/8/11 – Yes I Can Can
- Chicago Tribune, 8/8/11 – Learn how to can your summer bounty
- Yakima Herald, 8/5/11 – Canning across Washington
- West Seattle Blog, 8/1/11 – Can it! Join West Seattleites for National Can-It-Forward Day
As the Canvolution kicks off this weekend, we know you’ll be busy at the stove, but in the heat of the moment, don’t forget to document your role in this historic event! Take photos, jot down notes, scribble poetry and send’em our way! We’d love to highlight your canning parties, classes and demos, no matter how great or small.
Send us all dispatches to: cansacrossamericaATgmail.com
Looking for recipes for different kinds of pickles? Look no further. Lisa DuPar, of Lisa Dupar Catering and Pomegranate Bistro has shared two of her favorites with us. Check them out!
Pickled Summer Bing Cherries
Pickled Red Onions
Canning, pickling and preserving are on this week’s live chat menu at Culinate, hosted by CAA co-founder Kim O’Donnel.
Photo by Viv/Seattle Bon Vivant
Kim’s special guest is canning expert Eugenia Bone, author of Well-Preserved (Clarkson Potter) and a blog with the same name at The Denver Post. Join us Thursday, Aug. 20, 10 a.m. PT/ 1 ET.
P.S. We will be giving away a kit of canning jars from Leifheit USA during the hour!
Got a question but can’t make the live chat? Send it early.